(Damage Per Round) or DPP (Damage Per Projectile) is the amount of damage inflicted by a single shot, bullet, missile, projectile, or round.
Damage per Round: (Base Value * (Sum of Positive Modifiers) + Flat Bonuses) * Negative Modifiers [LINK
Note: this amount can only be increased by using +Damage components or from any damage buff provided by a Hero, GoGo-Bar, Shadow Ops.
♦ DPS: is the average amount of damage delivered over a period of time (1 Second) it gives a quick and more accurate measure to how good your unit is compared to other units. As it takes into consideration all the other factors affecting the performance of the unit such as the Reload Speed, the Clip Size and the Rate of Fire.Note: this value can be increased by using any +Damage components in addition to any performance enhancing components like the Bandolier, Shell loader, ….etc.
♦ Burst Damage: is the type of damage that’s fired in a one high damaging shot followed by a long reload period. Units that have this kind of damage:
Mega Tanks - Ultra Tank - Stinger - Flood Turret - Commando - Cyclone - Enforcer...etc.
Burst shots can be evaded by fast-moving vehicles.
The long reload times make it easier to bait Burst-damage units with any expendable unit then hit it with your main squad.
Best way to protect your special forces from this kind of damage is by using any version of the [Adaptive Body Armor] the Rare one [R] is highly recommended!
Edit: Stingers & Flood Turrets have guided missiles that can not be dodged! (thanks to lolwut1337)
♦ Sustain Damage: is a continuous stream of bullets with a low DPR, moderate to low Reload and high Rate of Fire. Units that have this kind of damage are: Gatling Trucks, Heavy Gunners, Preservers, Kara, Avalanche and Microwave Turrets.
The sustain damage have low impact on Heavy Tanks & Armored structures, but it excels at tearing light-vehicles and Infantry apart.
The best way to mitigate or in some cases nullify this type of damage is by using any Flat Armor components like the [HD Plating] in addition to the -Damage% components such as [Caution Order]
♦ Area Damage (AOE or Splash)
This kind of damage is spread over an area and affect secondary targets around the main target. units with this kind of damage: Infiltrators - Fire B Artillery - Nightmare - Flak Tank - Rocket Barrage - BFG - Sarkis.
Some units are weak to this type of damage such as Kara & Infiltrators.
For maximum protection, you have to use both [Take Cover] & [Caution Order].
Note: Heavy Operators have access to a special component [Dampening Helmet] which can reduce the AOE damage taken up to 40%
Stands for Damage over Time. it's a condition that causes the affected unit to constantly take damage until the effect expires such as burning and corrosive damage.
Units with this kind of damage are: Vipers - Scorpions - FAV...etc.
♦ Melee Damage
The type of damage you take from a very short-ranged and hand to hand combat.units with such type of damage: Attack Dog - Zombies - Widow Makers. for better protection from these kind of attacks and for a faster way to kill your melee opponents, you should use [Storm the Front] along with any +damage components.
♦ Irreducible Damage: Damage from Fire Bomb Artillery Turret, it cannot be reduced by any effect.
♦ Elemental Damage effects:
The damage that followed by an elemental status effect such as : Fire
There are many units with these types of damage such as Nightshade’s Drones - Vipers - Ryu Kai Units – Slayer Drones and Shock Tanks.
Incendiary Effect is effective against Infantry and Zombies.
Corrosive Effect is effective against Heavy Vehicles.
Cryo Effect is effective against Light Vehicles. [?]
Explosive Effect is effective against Buildings and Barricades. [?]
♦ Damage Taken: (Damage per Round - Armor) * (Sum of All Modifiers) [LINK]
♠ Damage Reduction: is the amount of damage ignored or subtracted from the DPR by the units’ armor, special ability or a special boost from external sources.
-By the Amount of Damage Reduced:
♦ Damage Reduced by a Flat amount (Flat Armor): the amount is subtracted directly from the base damage eg. If unit Y fired a bullet at unit X with a 450 damage value, and X has a 120 flat armor, then only 330 will hit the unit X. (450 - 120)
- Doran & Brother Jeremiah’s Armor of Faith (100 Flat Armor)
- Omega Armor [R] tech component with a (240 Flat Armor)
♦ Damage Reduced by a Percentage: the amount of damage received will be mitigated by the % it can be a reduction from all damage or a certain types. percentage-based damage reductions stack additively, meaning it is possible to reach 100% damage reduction.
if unit Y fired a rocket with a 60,000 damage at unit X. and unit X has a 15% damage reduction, then only 51,000 will hit unit X. [60,000 * (1-0.15)]
Examples: Mega Tank's armor plating components
♦ Damage capped at a Fixed rate: blocks damage above a certain percentage of the unit's total health like the Adaptive Body Armor
♦ Passive Damage Reductions: the effect works all the time in any situation.
- Preservers 100 Flat Armor.
♦ Conditional Damage Reductions: only active at certain conditions:
Provided by an internal or external sources:
- Jackals 48% damage reduction. Condition: only active while moving.
- Sentinels’ forces 100 Flat Armor by Bro J. condition: Only active when near Bro J.
- Base defenders 10~15% damage reduction by level 11 & 12 Def-Lab. Condition: As long as Def-Lab is not destroyed or under upgrading.
Provided by Tech Components:
- SFs Caution Order with 12% damage reduction. Condition: Units’ health above 50%
- ViperX Conductive Plating with a 12% damage reduction while moving.
♦ Status Effects Immunity:
protection from negative status effects like Burning, Corrosion, Concussion, Shock, Slow. Units with such abilities: Inferno, Nightshade, Bro J with True Believers Armor...etc.♠ Clip Size:
is the number of bullets, rounds in one clip. eg. Heavy Ops have 6 bullets per clip, Slayer Drones have 14 and Snipers have only 1.♠ Reload Speed:
it's how fast a unit can change an empty clip with a new one. it's inversely related to Reload Time.
♠ Reload Time: The time needed to change an empty clip with a new one. Example, Commandos take 3.25 seconds to change the clip and start firing again.
♦ New Reload Time = Current Reload Time / ( 1 + Reload Speed Modifiers)
♠ Charging Time: It’s the reload time for Energy Weapons such as the Crusaders, Enforcers, Ion, Plasma, LASER and Shock turrets.
♠ Rate of Fire (RoF):
is how many rounds a unit can fire in one second. for example, Infiltrators have an RoF of 2. ie. they can fire 2 rounds per second while Preservers can fire 40.
♠ Activation Time: the time spent delivering the shot from the weapon to its target.
example: Dante’s shells take half a second to reach the target while Sarkis’s rockets take 0.025 of a second to reach its target.
Damage can be increased in two ways: Direct and Indirect.Directly Increase the damage output:
By components & Tactics:
- there are many available components to increase damage Vs all or certain targets.
By an Heroic buff:
- Sheila to all the Special Forces (Except the Infiltrators).
- Unbreakable (An Heroic Buff to the Ultra Tanks)
By a special ability:
- Kara’s Bloodlust I
By a special Bonus:
- GoGo-Bar with up to +48% damage boost as long as the building is not destroyed or being upgraded.
- Shadow Ops +Damage% during events.
I will only focus on the tech components that indirectly affect the DPS, especially the Reload Speed & Fire Rate.
You can indirectly modify the damage output of an SF unit by one of the following methods:
♦ By changing the Reload Speed:
- Compressed Magazine (All Special Forces)
- Take Aim (All Special Forces)
- Shell Loader (Heavy Vehicles Only!)
- Overload [C] [U] [R] (Exclusive to Dante & the Ultra Tanks)
- Rapid Fire (Exclusive Tactic to Jericho & the Hellhounds)
- Bloodlust I (Exclusive to Kara)
- Bloodlust II (Exclusive to Jericho & the Hellhounds)
- Bloodfury (An Heroic Buff to the Hellhounds)
♦ By changing the Fire Rate
- Bandolier (All Special Forces)
- Coolant Chamber (Heavy Vehicles Only!)
- Rapid Fire (An Heroic Buff to the Cyclones)
♦ By Using [Storm the Front] and adding Range mods such as:
- Explosive Ordnance (All Special Forces)
- Longhorn Barrel (Exclusive to the Warhorse)
- HH2 Targeting Systems [C] [U] [R] (Exclusive to the Hellhounds & Jericho)
- Chocked Barrels [C] [U] (Exclusive to the Jackals)
- BARZ Assault Rifle (Exclusive to Sheila)
♦ By changing the Clip Size:
We currently don’t have any SF component with that function!
♦ By applying the Corrosion status effect
- Using Units like Vipers and Scorpions.
- Using Components like Kara with Daedalus Rifle, Corrosive Coatings on Jackals, Apocalypse Shells on Mega Tanks…etc.
- Using the Corrosion Missile or the Marauders Mercenary.
A few things to consider :
- The goal from making this post is to give you a direction. The exact numbers might slightly differ from the actual ones.
- Going after the highest DPS is not always the best, sometimes increasing\decreasing the unit’s performance gives you tactical advantages in certain situations.
- The GoGo-Bar's +48% damage bonus can be directly added to the DPS. Special Units Stats - Rank: Promoted P1 : [SOURCE]
Components that affect the Performance and indirectly affect the DPS of all the Special Forces:
Components that affect the performance and indirectly affect the DPS of the SF Heavy Vehicles only:
Heavy Vehicles have access to more Performance Enhancing components than Infantry and Light Vehicles.
If you are going to use only one of these components, then this will give you what’s the effective DPS % each component has on Heavy Vehicles:
And if you are willing to enhance their performance even more, you can use 2 components instead of 1:
Several units got super boost from stacking 2 similar components e.g. Nightmares with 2 Fire Rate components. Others got the most benefit from both of their RoF & RS like the Ultra Tanks.
Note: for the Tempest, Doran and the Nightmares, Using the Bandolier+Coolant Chamber will give them higher DPS% but they will suffer from 10% reduced movement speed, so choosing the slightly lower DPS% from Take Aim+Coolant Chamber or any other +Damage component is much better and recommended.
Finally, Using the 3rd component that affect the Reload Speed, Take Aim, with a combination of the other two will give you:
Warhorses benefit the most from using both Shell Loader+Compressed Magazine together. Their Clip size of 1 and Longer Reload Times are the biggest performance weaknesses, but with these 2 components working together you have a 75% increased Reload Speed which dramatically increases their performance and thus increasing the damage output per second.
Also, notice how the 4th combination has no significant effect on the Warhorses DPS.
Note: There are a lot of other better options to choose from, this is just to show you how these components work together & their effect on the DPS.
I do NOT recommend using only the 3-component setups above, unless you don’t have any other options.