Words of Random! Chapter Four: Amurican Dialect

Hyperius
Hyperius
Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 12,121
edited 8 Mar 2016, 2:04PM
Ever wonder the fascinating differences in how we pronounce certain words or items? Try it out by taking this quiz! http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=1&;

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

Helpful Links:  Site Rules / Report a Player / ToS / Ticket Status /

Have a problem? KIXEYE Customer Service

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 8,259
    Honour
    Labour
    Valour
    Aluminium
    - How the British say some words (and also Canadians)

Honor
    Labor
    Valor
    Aluminum
    -How Americans say some words

There we go. Some differences between American and British dialect.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    FYI Hyperius, that link seems to be broken.
    The page isn't found or something.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    Fixed.

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,948
    Quiz

So I was Hawaiian this whole time? Suddenly the pineapple thing makes sense.
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    Mine put me smack dab where I live.

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:
    Quiz

So I was Hawaiian this whole time? Suddenly the pineapple thing makes sense.
    It would've made more sense if your map came up as South American Yard cause that's where Pineapples apparently come from.
    At least, if Wikipedia is correct.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    So I just got to question 18 of 25 and it asks me the following:
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?

And then it gives me the following options to choose from.

sunshower
    the wolf is giving birth
    the devil is beating his wife
    monkey's wedding
    fox's wedding
    pineapple rain
    liquid sun
    I have no term or expression for this
    other

I had to laugh when I saw number 6 of the list. I didn't know that was apparently a nickname for raining when the sun is shining lmfao.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    So Yard, it seems that according to this map I speak like a Hawaiian as well.

Hmm, Im not sure about Hawaii. There don't seem to be a wide number of my Mantis allies out there, beyond the common Preying Mantis.
    There do seem to be a wide diversity of spiders, so it sounds like hostile territory to my people. Looks like I should set my armies sights on this island, and rid it of the spiders before its too late.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    That's a bit interesting that England's dialect would be similar to that of Hawaii.

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Hyperius said:
    That's a bit interesting that England's dialect would be similar to that of Hawaii.
    Yeah, I wonder why that is. Most of the choices for a lot of the questions were things I'd never heard of. I think I got a totally blue map for my first 3 or 4 questions. Maybe it's just because Hawaii doesn't use a lot of Americanisms, which would put an English person (who wouldn't either) more in line with them? I found myself picking 'I don't have a term for this' or 'other' a few times on that quiz.
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Yeah, I wonder why that is. Most of the choices for a lot of the questions were things I'd never heard of. I think I got a totally blue map for my first 3 or 4 questions. Maybe it's just because Hawaii doesn't use a lot of Americanisms, which would put an English person (who wouldn't either) more in line with them? I found myself picking 'I don't have a term for this' or 'other' a few times on that quiz.
    So you mean to tell me. You've never once said, "y'all". Because that's the FIRST thing I put down.

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    So you mean to tell me. You've never once said, "y'all". Because that's the FIRST thing I put down.
    I put 'you lot' for that one, but there were a few I would potentially use. That was another problem, the UK has a variety of phrases for the same thing, too; for some I wasn't sure what I'd pick and just tried to choose the one I'd be most likely to use first.
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    I put 'you lot' for that one, but there were a few I would potentially use. That was another problem, the UK has a variety of phrases for the same thing, too; for some I wasn't sure what I'd pick and just tried to choose the one I'd be most likely to use first.
    I'd like you to take some time practicing "y'all" today. Go out into the world utilize it. SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD, YOU PINEAPPLE YOU.

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    I'd like you to take some time practicing "y'all" today. Go out into the world utilize it. SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD, YOU PINEAPPLE YOU.
    Have you ever played Skyrim? Me saying "y'all" sounds like "Jarl".
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    I have no idea what that game is.

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Regardless, I pronounce y'all weirdly. It's not an abbreviation meant for English tongues.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 9 Mar 2016, 10:21PM
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Yard said:
    Hyperius said:
    Regardless, I pronounce y'all weirdly. It's not an abbreviation meant for English tongues.
    I agree. I once said the word "ya'll" and immediately wanted to be rid of my tongue so I could never say that again lol.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Mall is another word I hate. It either comes out as maul, mal, or marl, which isn't how I've heard any American say it ever.
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    Yard said:
    Mall is another word I hate. It either comes out as maul, mal, or marl, which isn't how I've heard any American say it ever.
    That. is. AWESOME.

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

• lomolife1174
    lomolife1174
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 9,114
    Apparently, I'm a true East Coast'er but I also speak similarly to a Hawaiian. 
  • Initial_Degeneration
    Initial_Degeneration
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2015 Posts: 2,853
    MURICA

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@lomolife1174 said:
    Apparently, I'm a true East Coast'er but I also speak similarly to a Hawaiian. 

We're both clearly tropical Hawiian fruits.