Powering Up: Fixing Unit Progression

• warinwar
    warinwar
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 764
    Now that you have done this EVERY promoted unit I have requires about one hour repair.  So now I have about 9 hours of repair time to suffer thru for your "fix" 
    This was the case before the fix already - every promoted units needs to be repaired first. Why, that is a mystery to me (I mean I know it has a higher health than last recorded, but it still kind of sucks).
  • meemadd
    meemadd
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 1,202
    how does this new change actually help us if it takes 10 times longer to get the vxp?,doesnt that offset any change you guys made to now take us even longer to max SF, what should have been done is just simply reduce the ranking amounts for the long to rank up units (preservers and bro j)
  • Daniel26
    Daniel26
    Master Tactician
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 2,219
    warinwar said:
    Now that you have done this EVERY promoted unit I have requires about one hour repair.  So now I have about 9 hours of repair time to suffer thru for your "fix" 
    This was the case before the fix already - every promoted units needs to be repaired first. Why, that is a mystery to me (I mean I know it has a higher health than last recorded, but it still kind of sucks).

Those players that already had a lot of units promoted got screwed in way of repair time/damage given.

Those players with lots of units yet to upgrade to promotion level got screwed with the VXP curve that seems to be curved in the wrong direction causing units to now take forever to rank up.

Those players with both lots of promoted units and units needing ranked up got a double shafting I guess.

[COLOR="#00FF00"]Home Sector: 108
    Level: 42
    Group: Wolves of War (Inactive)  but friends of many.
    Event/Mission Rewards: Not all but way too many to keep track of.
  • AdS_Heisenberg
    AdS_Heisenberg
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,117
    edited 11 Nov 2015, 9:32AM
    max1e said:
    all my promoted sf lvl21 even if they were  in storage have damaqe  after update..lol
    just picked your comment - its representing all the comments about this "bug".

this isnt a bug, its a feature.

it has been like this from the start.

when we were still upgrading units per ressources every time you upgraded a unit ALL corresponding units in your toons/storage got more health. this additional health needs to be filled up (repaired if you want) to take advantage of the higher health.

you units did NOT suffer damage, they got added health, so they look damaged, but in fact have the same health as before the update. you only need to fill the additional health to take advantage of the upgraded health.

lets say before update you had a unit with 150K health max which was fully repaired.

now after the update this units gets a 40% health buff, it will have a max health of 210K, but still has the 150K health it had before the update. it doesnt get "repaired" with the buff, just its max health was increased.

so you now have a unit with 150K current health and a new max health of 210K. the result is what you see now - a "damaged" unit.

just use your unit as you would have before the upgrade - no change for you. but afterwards your repairs will be longer - the downside of more health - longer repair ... what did you expect? more health and same reapair time?

kixeye is doing a lot of shiat and messes up stuff a lot, but in this case, you need to shut up and be happy that promoted units now are really worth the time you invested into the promotion.
  • KratonesBR
    KratonesBR
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 121
    rusmro said:
    Jackal in lv 40 SS

Before  update : 1.5 to 1.9 mil xp / base on 74 mil total for lv (1- 20)    -> 40  bases

After update : 80 k to 150k xp / base for 17.750 mil  total for level (1-20) - > 119 bases.

Basically is a  drop the of the xp gained  13 times and a drop of xp needed  of 4 times

edit:
    I wonder if other units got same treatment

same to warhorse, and thats basic math to do, and they do it wrong
  • max1e
    max1e
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 2,329
    max1e said:
    all my promoted sf lvl21 even if they were  in storage have damaqe  after update..lol
    just picked your comment - its representing all the comments about this "bug".

this isnt a bug, its a feature.

it has been like this from the start.

when we were still upgrading units per ressources every time you upgraded a unit ALL corresponding units in your toons/storage got more health. this additional health needs to be filled up (repaired if you want) to take advantage of the higher health.

you units did NOT suffer damage, they got added health, so they look damaged, but in fact have the same health as before the update. you only need to fill the additional health to take advantage of the upgraded health.

lets say before update you had a unit with 150K health max which was fully repaired.

now after the update this units gets a 40% health buff, it will have a max health of 210K, but still has the 150K health it had before the update. it doesnt get "repaired" with the buff, just its max health was increased.

so you now have a unit with 150K current health and a new max health of 210K. the result is what you see now - a "damaged" unit.

just use your unit as you would have before the upgrade - no change for you. but afterwards your repairs will be longer - the downside of more health - longer repair ... what did you expect? more health and same reapair time?

kixeye is doing a lot of shiat and messes up stuff a lot, but in this case, you need to shut up and be happy that promoted units now are really worth the time you invested into the promotion.
    i did expect the same repairs yes, because the shaded part i thought was advertised way back as free/bonus health... well this is how it was originally anyways, maybe it's changed now.. maybe we can get a CM to comment? lol. ;)

FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED AT

STATS, INFORMATION, WC HISTORY & MORE ...
  • KratonesBR
    KratonesBR
    Minor Nuisance
    max1e said:
    i did expect the same repairs yes, because the shaded part i thought was advertised way back as free/bonus health... well this is how it was originally anyways, maybe it's changed now.. maybe we can get a CM to comment? lol. ;)
    its just like u upgraded an unit and they were on world map, whats is a few hours of repairs, come on, world aint gonna explode
  • max1e
    max1e
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 2,329
    max1e said:
    its just like u upgraded an unit and they were on world map, whats is a few hours of repairs, come on, world aint gonna explode
    hiya bro, granted it's not the end of the world etc, but as you can see the upgrade times shouldn't be increased (if they are) as the shaded part is meant to be bonus health (not added to the unit) and no i didn't mind fixing them as it was only a few hours.  :)  i'm just after confirmation is all as all shaded health isn't meant to be added to the units time taken to fix is all :)

FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED AT

STATS, INFORMATION, WC HISTORY & MORE ...
  • KratonesBR
    KratonesBR
    Minor Nuisance
    max1e said:
    max1e said:
    hiya bro, granted it's not the end of the world etc, but as you can see the upgrade times shouldn't be increased (if they are) as the shaded part is meant to be bonus health (not added to the unit) and no i didn't mind fixing them as it was only a few hours.  :)  i'm just after confirmation is all as all shaded health isn't meant to be added to the units time taken to fix is all :)

doubt they will increase repair time about that
  • JeffHow
    JeffHow
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 833
    TroyW said:

I hope this additional explanation helps.  :)

I tell you what would really help me out is if you can give me the Damage Recieved vXP Rates !!

I really don't want to have to kill a bunch of my SF doing testing to find out what percentage of the damage done to them is awarded as vXP.

Plus a lot of my sf are max rank now so its harder for me to do these test. So please if you could post them It would be appreciated !
    I'm sorry I don't have time to respond to all the questions, but I can respond to this one: when your unit is fully destroyed, regardless of what unit or level it is, you get 50,000 VXP.  This means that earlier levels just hurling your units to their doom can actually net you a fair amount of VXP toward your next level, but at later levels, that 50k is worth far less toward your next level, making smart play much more efficient at levelling-up.

Also, your Bro J math seems about right to me (though, as you are aware, it doesn't account for any damage taken, which would speed up the process a bit).
    WrongThinker,

When are we going to get some info about unable to promote units???  I have 3 units that I can't promote because it says they are not high enough when I have the max number of VXP to promote them!!!!!  

You know I'm currently highly pissed that I took the time and VXP my units under the original curve now you are giving new players the chance to max them out quicker than the people whom gotten them before. 

I think WrongThinker you need to give the people who did the Promote under the Original Curve Comp for this crap now.

Just thinking outside of the box.  Since last year Kixeye has given the New players more and more of the toys that we Players of Old had to work our Collective arses off to get.  Where is our Comp?????
  • Vince7
    Vince7
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 11
    TroyW said:
    OK ... 

Couple of things to start with...

• I am only dealing with the vXP Rates for Damage Done.  I did not test Damage Received to find out the new Rates. ( I didn't want to kill my SF ).
    • As I read the changes all vXP units now take the following vXP to upgrade from Rank 1 to Rank 20 : 
    • NON HERO's = 17,750,000 
    • HERO's = 35,500,000
    • All vXP Units had a decrease in their Damage Done vXP Rates ( the percentage of Damage received as vXP )  as follows 

• All Operators ( including Sheila & Kara ) 
    • Old vXp Rate = 50 %
    • New vXP Rate = 10%
    • Total Reduction of = 40%
    • All Preservers ( Including Bro J ) 
    • Old vXp Rate = 100 %
    • New vXP Rate = 10%
    • Total Reduction of = 90%
    • All Infiltrators 
    • Old vXp Rate = 40 %
    • New vXP Rate = 10%
    • Total Reduction of = 30%
    • All Light vXP Vehicles  ( Hellhound & Jackal )
    • Old vXp Rate = 50 %
    • New vXP Rate = 4%
    • Total Reduction of = 46%
    • All Heavy vXP Vehicles  ( Nightmare & Warhorse )
    • Old vXp Rate = 50 %
    • New vXP Rate = 3%
    • Total Reduction of = 47%
    • All vXP Aircraft  ( Cyclone )
    • Old vXp Rate = 16 %
    • New vXP Rate = 6%
    • Total Reduction of = 10%

So know these new vXP Rates ( all Tested by me ) I ran the numbers .... See Below

As you can see we as Players are getting a positive net change in most cases.

For instance, lets use the Lead Heavy Operator from above as an example....
    • The old vXP needed to go from R1 to R20 was 92,480,000.
    • The new vXP needed to go from R1 to R20 is 17,750,000
    • This is a reduction in vXP needed of 80.81% 
    • The vXP Rate for Damage Done was reduced by 40% for him  ( from a 50% rate to a 10 % rate )
    • Yes we are now making 40% less in vXP for the same damage as before but to upgrade him we need over 80% less vXP so in this case we are getting a 40.81% better deal. 

Some we are getting the opposite... like the Infiltrator.  But overall I think it looks good for us. 

Unfortunately the thing all the payers see is the amount of vXP coming in and yes its lower than before so a LOT of players will just think they are getting screwed because they don't fully understand that the amounts required were reduced by so much because its not the number they see all the time.

I AM WORKING HARD TO GET THE WIKI UPDATED - ITS A LOOOOOOT OF WORK.
    TroyW, your math is very wrong when it comes to how large of a reduction there has been in the amount of Damage Done vXP rates.  
    Examples:
    cyclone - a decrease from 16% to 6% is a decrease of (16%-6%)/16% = 10%/16% = decrease of 62.5%
    nightmares and warhorses - decrease from 50% to 3% = (50%-3%)/50% = 47%/50% = decrease of 94%

This a HUGE decrease in the vXP earned.

You also can't just add the % Reduced and % Rate Change to get an accurate measure of the change.   You must take the 'Old vXP Req' and divide by the old 'vXP Rate' - that tells you the old total vXP needed to be hit by that unit to max it.  For the new levels, you need to take the 'New vXP Req' and divide by the 'New vXP Rate'.  Then compare these 2 numbers.  THAT will actually tell you whether you need to do more or less now for each unit.

Ex.  
    Cyclone:
    Old total vXP = 17,750,000/16% = 110,937,500
    New total vXP = 17,750,000/6% = 295,833,333
    This is more than 2 1/2 times as much needed to level up a cyclone!

Ex. 
    Warhorse:
    Old total vXP = 46,030,000/50% = 92,060,000
    New total vXP = 46,030,000/3% = 1,534,333,333 (seriously - that's 1.5 BILLION)
    This is over 16 times as much needed to level up a warhorse!

This is a HUGE negative impact on us as players and will take incredibly longer amounts of bases hit to level up these units.  Warhorses were already hard enough to level up - now it's more than 16 times worse.

To use an analogy like the moderator:

Pretend you want to buy a house that costs $200,000.
    Your income is $50,000.
    Kixeye just made the price of the house $100,000.  
    We should celebrate right?
    However, they also just reduced your income to $3,000.
    Is this house now more affordable for you?  Or less - by a LOT?

We need to shed light on the true nature of this terrible update under the guise of being "better" for us as players.

Please update your spreadsheet with the correct method to calculate this change - alternatively, if you can post it somehow, I'll do the math and paste the results back in.
  • Destroyer96376
    Destroyer96376
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 122
    wel kixeye you have bait us again . you  lv up the progresse for vxp  units faster, **** you lv the bases outputt for arning vxp pionts going down . wath is the piont then . another bigg screw up from the company .thanks alot my sf will be max in couple of years . have funn :(
  • Vince7
    Vince7
    Greenhorn
    TroyW, my apologies... I made a mistake and the wrong number - the last numbers I posted for the warhorse are actually for the nightmare, based upon it's old 46,030,000 vXP Req.  Sorry about that!  Just replace 'warhorse' with 'nightmare' on that example
  • Vince7
    Vince7
    Greenhorn
    Argh, I screwed something else up in my haste in my nightmare/warhorse example... I'll do all the numbers and check them carefully, then paste in my spreadsheet
  • killer99999999
    killer99999999
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 1,770
    edited 11 Nov 2015, 3:56PM
    From what i can make out the number of HZ30 bases has doubled to rank up a warhorse from level 19 to 20

Here is the maths (figures rounded up or down). I don't have a video proving the XP gained from a HZ 30 before the update but jotted it down in my notepad as 3.1 mill per base and I hit LOTS of them to rank up my horses

Before update :
    3,000,000 gained per HZ30
    15,200,000  xp from level 19-20 
    =5 HZ30 @ 12 min per base

After update:

228,000 xp gained per HZ30
    2,500,000  xp from level 19-20
    =11 HZ30 @ 12 min per base

Lead heavy operators and Marksmen at level 10-15 also seem to be leveling up much slow than they did before...

• Vince7
    Vince7
    Greenhorn
    TroyW, here are updated numbers, with the last column showing the change in the Total vXP needed - all the red is increases in Total vXP needed.

Observations:
    Big improvement in Lead Preservers and Brother Jeremiah - much less Total vXP needed.
    MANY units need WAY more Total vXP now - warhorse needs 2.4 times as much now, nightmare needs 5.43 times as much, cyclone needs 1.67 times as much.  
    Overall, Kixeye has made it much HARDER to level up most vXP units and pretended to make it easier.  

Repeating the analogy...

Your income is $50,000.
    You should celebrate, right?
    However, Kixeye also reduced your income to $4,000.

What do you have to say, WrongThinker?

TroyW - thank you very much for gathering and posting all the underlying data to help show what a terrible update this is for us as players.

• Aalok R
    Aalok R
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 559
    Did they really think that players wont notice the drastic decrease in the VXP gained from any base? Did they really want to sneak that change into the system assuming we wouldnt notice? and just sugar coat the update just to hog some attention and praise which they absolutely do not deserve.
    Thank you TroyW and Vince for compiling the numbers and summarising the update in a nutshell for all to understand. 
  • SamantaSmartowska
    SamantaSmartowska
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 629
    Aalok R said:
    Did they really think that players wont notice the drastic decrease in the VXP gained from any base? Did they really want to sneak that change into the system assuming we wouldnt notice? and just sugar coat the update just to hog some attention and praise which they absolutely do not deserve.
    Thank you TroyW and Vince for compiling the numbers and summarising the update in a nutshell for all to understand. 
    Yes they think that trust me)

• killer99999999
    killer99999999
    Thank you Vince for providing the Math to support what a lot of players are experiencing...
  • Zed-X-1008
    Zed-X-1008
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 587
    Vince7 said:
    TroyW, here are updated numbers, with the last column showing the change in the Total vXP needed - all the red is increases in Total vXP needed.

Observations:
    Big improvement in Lead Preservers and Brother Jeremiah - much less Total vXP needed.
    MANY units need WAY more Total vXP now - warhorse needs 2.4 times as much now, nightmare needs 5.43 times as much, cyclone needs 1.67 times as much.  
    Overall, Kixeye has made it much HARDER to level up most vXP units and pretended to make it easier.  

Repeating the analogy...

Your income is $50,000.
    You should celebrate, right?
    However, Kixeye also reduced your income to $4,000.

What do you have to say, WrongThinker?

TroyW - thank you very much for gathering and posting all the underlying data to help show what a terrible update this is for us as players.

This is exactly what im talking about. Thanks for your post, this explains it as it is now and no words or explainations can change the fact the Kixeye either dont want us to level our units up or they are after more money. I see the game now as a total disreguard for the player in every way and all about making money. I hope they realise fast that all they are doing pushing more players away from the game and if we look at the numbers of players online at anyone time now compared to even 1 yr ago, well how many more can they afford to lose. I have loved this game and have invested alot of time, effort and also coin in WC but im now looking for a new game to play. Games are supposed to be fun, not something that just continuiously stresses me out and annoys me. I will leave there for now but my future in the game may not last much longer.
  • BADCANDY7
    BADCANDY7
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2014 Posts: 395
    ok, everybody is playing "maths commander", and for some units it seems to be a good update, for some other units, especially tanks and cyclons, it doesnt seem to be a good update, now I ask:

taking into account the vxp has been reduced, and the exp gained from bases has been reduced as well, HOW MANY SF SHOULD BE IN A PLATOON SO THEY CAN LEVEL UP FAST?

it seems that now a single squad (1 leader + 4 followers) means too many sfs to train in any base

do we have to use 1 leader 1 follower, or in the worst case, 1 man's army?
  • jeenarmy
    jeenarmy
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 77
    Earlier i used to get 3.6 million VXP points when i used to do HH 45 however now i m getiing only 0.3 million vxp, is any one facing same issue
  • BADCANDY7
    BADCANDY7
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2014 Posts: 395
    jeenarmy said:
    Earlier i used to get 3.6 million VXP points when i used to do HH 45 however now i m getiing only 0.3 million vxp, is any one facing same issue
    vxp pointes were reduced after yesterday's update
  • killer99999999
    killer99999999
    i actually think kix have just got the math wrong on this and will adjust the XP now we are proving it. the positive i'm taking from this update is that i had 30 preservers all jumping from level 15/16 to levels 19/20. however levelling up any new units is going to be a bigger pain in the arse than it was before
  • nickyboy2
    nickyboy2
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 66
    The numbers of players has lvl off due to the fact of cheats.Nothing elsa matter but the cheats for I as one do not care about how hard it is to lvl something up. When one can't enjoy the game due to hacks and cheats thats the problem. We all bring this up to we are blue in the face YET NOTHING DONE!!!!
  • Mit Notlim
    Mit Notlim
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2014 Posts: 174
    what is up with the reduction in vxp after yesterdays maintenance?

• Jeff_M386
    Jeff_M386
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 516
    AA-82 said:
    So you lowered the VXP requirements of some units, but you lowered VXP payouts by 90% so that all units will take even longer to level up now?
    Yes. YES of coarse they did!!!!! Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

• Mit Notlim
    Mit Notlim
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2014 Posts: 174

Hi Commanders,  WrongThinker here.

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, our systems of unit progression (Veteran Experience and Promotion) have some problems.  Today, I’m going to talk a bit about those problems and how we’re going to fix them.

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

VXP is great in that it provides all Commanders a path to getting more powerful troops merely by using them in combat.  The more combat a unit has seen, the more experienced they are, the stronger they get.  It makes sense and it’s fun to watch your units grow in power as you play.

Unfortunately, the system was very uneven.  Operators, for example, required about 6 Million VXP to go from Rank 19 to Rank 20, but a Preserver required about 32 Million.  To make matters worse, different units earned different amount of VXP, even from the same targets.  So, one unit might earn 200,000 VXP during combat and another might earn 3,000,000.  Some units also took forever to level-up (I’m looking at you Bro J), making it feel like a brutal grind.  All of this made it very difficult to gauge the kind of progress you were making with a unit, which could make the whole process pretty frustrating.

We’re changing all that.

To simplify things, there will now only be 2 curves: Normal and Heroic.  All non-Hero Special Forces will have the same VXP requirements at all levels.  All Heroes will share a different curve.  In both curves, you'll see two primary improvements in addition to the fact they are standardized.  First, the curves themselves will be smoother and, though a few units may see earlier levels take a fight or two longer, later levels are often drastically reduced (especially for the likes of Bro J).  Taken as a whole, units will only benefit from this.  Second, you’ll see very similar earn rates for all Unit types that share a curve.  So, a platoon of Rank 10 Operators hitting a Verkraft 65 will make roughly the same amount of progress toward Rank 11 as a platoon of Rank 10 Nightmares against the same target.

In general, this should make progress feel much better and more consistent for your whole army.  So long as you’re using all your units evenly, none will fall behind.  It also means that you’ll have a good sense of what to expect of new units when they’re released, as well.

PROMOTION

We wanted to reward units who reached the top of their VXP curve with an additional power boost.  This was Promotion.  Promotion increased Damage, Health, and even gave a slight benefit to repairs.  Unfortunately, the power benefit just wasn’t a suitable reward for players who put the time into getting their units to the top.  That’s about to change.

Now, instead of gaining merely 10% to Damage and Health, Promoted Units will gain a MASSIVE 50% bonus to Damage and Health (and will still gain the 5% reduction to Repair Time).  A full platoon of Promoted Units will truly be a force to be reckoned with (even a single Promoted hero will bring some serious heat).

CONCLUSIONS

These changes will go live with this week’s update (exact day and time TBD).

As far as the VXP changes, all SF units will be transferred to the new curves.  Though no unit will lose levels, it is possible that some of your army may gain levels after a single use (especially if they were nearing their next level).  Should this occur, do not be alarmed, just enjoy the power.

For Promotion, all players who have already achieved Promotions for their units will immediately receive the new power in full.  For other players who haven’t Promoted their units yet, don’t worry, we’re not increasing the price despite the increase in power.

See you on the fields of battle, Commanders.  Enjoy.

-WT

UPDATE: NOW WITH EVEN MORE DETAIL!!!
    I wanted to dive a little deeper into these changes to address some questions I've seen on this thread and around the forums.

Primarily: why did we change Earn Rates in addition to Rank Thresholds?  We did this because we were standardizing the VXP curves, not just improving them.  Each unit used to have a unique curve, which meant there was no consistent value to VXP.  I want to expand on this idea of "consistent value," because this seems to be causing more confusion than any other point and also because it's highly relevant to understand why standardization is a good thing.

Let's say I have a job where I earn $10 an hour and you have a job where you earn $20 an hour.  You might think you make more than me, but now what if I told you that I live in a city where the average rent is $1,000 a month and you live in a city where the average rent is $3,000 a month (and that these rents reflect cost of living in these respective areas).  Even though you technically make more, I can afford far more with my $10 than you can with your $20.  In this example, I am actually paid better, even though I am paid numerically less.

So, to bring this back to War Commander, you may have earned more on a particular target than you used to, but that doesn't mean you're going to level up more slowly.  For example, to get Bro J from level 1 to level 20 took 828,000,000 VXP.  Under the new system, he takes 35,500,000.  That's more than a 95% reduction in the total VXP required to get him to level 20!  While he will earn less VXP per battle, he'll still level up WAY faster than he used to.

However, now that all units share 1 of 2 curves and earn in the same way, you can judge how well you're using your units by the VXP they earn.  Also, you know that new non-Heroic units will level up much like your current units (so it won't be a surprise how units will gain levels).  Finally, if the system still isn't quite right, it will be much easier to adjust, since it will likely be failing in the same way for all units (easier to identify problems and easier to solve them).

All I know is that I deploy mixed platoons (example, Kara, preservers, marksman, heavy operators).

Monday, I could do a large thorium and get anywhere from 700,000 to 500,000 VXP, depending on how much damage I took.

Today, I am averaging 15,000 to 16,000 VXP from those same larges.

FFS, how does that make it easier for me to rank up?

Looks like KIXEYE has given the little guy the shaft again.
  • Moayd
    Moayd
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 1,171

Hi Commanders,  WrongThinker here.

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, our systems of unit progression (Veteran Experience and Promotion) have some problems.  Today, I’m going to talk a bit about those problems and how we’re going to fix them.

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

VXP is great in that it provides all Commanders a path to getting more powerful troops merely by using them in combat.  The more combat a unit has seen, the more experienced they are, the stronger they get.  It makes sense and it’s fun to watch your units grow in power as you play.

Unfortunately, the system was very uneven.  Operators, for example, required about 6 Million VXP to go from Rank 19 to Rank 20, but a Preserver required about 32 Million.  To make matters worse, different units earned different amount of VXP, even from the same targets.  So, one unit might earn 200,000 VXP during combat and another might earn 3,000,000.  Some units also took forever to level-up (I’m looking at you Bro J), making it feel like a brutal grind.  All of this made it very difficult to gauge the kind of progress you were making with a unit, which could make the whole process pretty frustrating.

We’re changing all that.

To simplify things, there will now only be 2 curves: Normal and Heroic.  All non-Hero Special Forces will have the same VXP requirements at all levels.  All Heroes will share a different curve.  In both curves, you'll see two primary improvements in addition to the fact they are standardized.  First, the curves themselves will be smoother and, though a few units may see earlier levels take a fight or two longer, later levels are often drastically reduced (especially for the likes of Bro J).  Taken as a whole, units will only benefit from this.  Second, you’ll see very similar earn rates for all Unit types that share a curve.  So, a platoon of Rank 10 Operators hitting a Verkraft 65 will make roughly the same amount of progress toward Rank 11 as a platoon of Rank 10 Nightmares against the same target.

In general, this should make progress feel much better and more consistent for your whole army.  So long as you’re using all your units evenly, none will fall behind.  It also means that you’ll have a good sense of what to expect of new units when they’re released, as well.

PROMOTION

We wanted to reward units who reached the top of their VXP curve with an additional power boost.  This was Promotion.  Promotion increased Damage, Health, and even gave a slight benefit to repairs.  Unfortunately, the power benefit just wasn’t a suitable reward for players who put the time into getting their units to the top.  That’s about to change.

Now, instead of gaining merely 10% to Damage and Health, Promoted Units will gain a MASSIVE 50% bonus to Damage and Health (and will still gain the 5% reduction to Repair Time).  A full platoon of Promoted Units will truly be a force to be reckoned with (even a single Promoted hero will bring some serious heat).

CONCLUSIONS

These changes will go live with this week’s update (exact day and time TBD).

As far as the VXP changes, all SF units will be transferred to the new curves.  Though no unit will lose levels, it is possible that some of your army may gain levels after a single use (especially if they were nearing their next level).  Should this occur, do not be alarmed, just enjoy the power.

For Promotion, all players who have already achieved Promotions for their units will immediately receive the new power in full.  For other players who haven’t Promoted their units yet, don’t worry, we’re not increasing the price despite the increase in power.

See you on the fields of battle, Commanders.  Enjoy.

-WT

UPDATE: NOW WITH EVEN MORE DETAIL!!!
    I wanted to dive a little deeper into these changes to address some questions I've seen on this thread and around the forums.

Primarily: why did we change Earn Rates in addition to Rank Thresholds?  We did this because we were standardizing the VXP curves, not just improving them.  Each unit used to have a unique curve, which meant there was no consistent value to VXP.  I want to expand on this idea of "consistent value," because this seems to be causing more confusion than any other point and also because it's highly relevant to understand why standardization is a good thing.

Let's say I have a job where I earn $10 an hour and you have a job where you earn $20 an hour.  You might think you make more than me, but now what if I told you that I live in a city where the average rent is $1,000 a month and you live in a city where the average rent is $3,000 a month (and that these rents reflect cost of living in these respective areas).  Even though you technically make more, I can afford far more with my $10 than you can with your $20.  In this example, I am actually paid better, even though I am paid numerically less.

So, to bring this back to War Commander, you may have earned more on a particular target than you used to, but that doesn't mean you're going to level up more slowly.  For example, to get Bro J from level 1 to level 20 took 828,000,000 VXP.  Under the new system, he takes 35,500,000.  That's more than a 95% reduction in the total VXP required to get him to level 20!  While he will earn less VXP per battle, he'll still level up WAY faster than he used to.

However, now that all units share 1 of 2 curves and earn in the same way, you can judge how well you're using your units by the VXP they earn.  Also, you know that new non-Heroic units will level up much like your current units (so it won't be a surprise how units will gain levels).  Finally, if the system still isn't quite right, it will be much easier to adjust, since it will likely be failing in the same way for all units (easier to identify problems and easier to solve them).

please be on PV show if u have time 

https://community.kixeye.com/discussion/590641#latest
  • OSG_Roy2
    OSG_Roy2
    Vassago's Bane
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 188
    Ok quick question but why are Lead Preservers range at 450 while regular preservers have a 500 range? This is about only SF unit where the leads don't have a better range than the operators. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.