Thane_Mantis
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 8,259
Me on my day's off...
Thane_Mantis
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 12,121
    The Backyard Monsters and Backyard Monsters: Unleashed forums have been removed.

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

Helpful Links:  Site Rules / Report a Player / ToS / Ticket Status /

Have a problem? KIXEYE Customer Service

• KrisK
    KrisK
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 2,508
    That's a shame. I wish there was an advanced notice of this event like there was with the removal of the TOME forum.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,948
    I know they didn't really do anything, but the forums look so empty without them.

Also sucks that I won't be able to refer to old threads when I need to, it's surprising but this stuff does crop up occasionally.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    KrisK said:
    That's a shame. I wish there was an advanced notice of this event like there was with the removal of the TOME forum.
    I agree. It's a fitting death for the forums, though; they went out the same way the game did. Suddenly. Silently.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Hyperius said:
    The Backyard Monsters and Backyard Monsters: Unleashed forums have been removed.
    Thats 5 years of history basically just thrown out.
    Thats a disgraceful thing to do. Would it kill them to give us an advanced notice?
    Just... what are they thinking!
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:
    I know they didn't really do anything, but the forums look so empty without them.

Also sucks that I won't be able to refer to old threads when I need to, it's surprising but this stuff does crop up occasionally.
    I agree. I log in one-day in the morning, to do a few rounds of the forums and see whats new.
    And I see two prominent forums noticeably absent. Thats gonna take some getting used too.
    Why couldn't they must merge them into one forum. Why kick them off entirely?
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • bo_rg
    bo_rg
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 881
    i wish they had just moved them to be "subforums" of the kixeye.com section.... its kinda sad :(
    #teamkillerspacewhales   currently ----> borg - 15385 (level 47... yes im THAT guy and i love it)
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    I really wish I'd kept modship a little longer, just so that whenever the topic came up I could say the forums I moderate literally do not exist anymore.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Kixeye needs to make a new browser game, already. I need an excuse to keep visiting this place.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:
    Kixeye needs to make a new browser game, already. I need an excuse to keep visiting this place.
    Frankly Im considering leaving.
    My patience is borderline run out with WC and now that KIXEYE has clearly demonstrated a complete lack of an ability to notify the players about major changes coming to the forums, including the deletion of what was since the deletion of Desktop Defender, their oldest set of forums I believe.
    What next. Deleting Backyard Monsters entirely?
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:
    My patience is borderline run out with WC and now that KIXEYE has clearly demonstrated a complete lack of an ability to notify the players about major changes coming to the forums, including the deletion of what was since the deletion of Desktop Defender, their oldest set of forums I believe.
    I've stuck around for about a year despite not actively playing any of the games here. It might seem pointless, but I really just post for Off Topic and, until now, informing people about BYM's state.
    I'd rather that happened. Some poor people still spend money on the game without realising. Some Spanish guy came into the forums a few days ago asking why the game was so buggy, he mentioned he was still a D.A.V.E. Club member (where you'd give Kixeye money monthly for in-game currency and a few negligible perks). I used my limited knowledge of Spanish and Google Translate to tell him to cancel his subscription, and that the game was no longer supported.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 25 Oct 2015, 11:03AM
    Yard said:
    Yard said:
    I've stuck around for about a year despite not actively playing any of the games here. It might seem pointless, but I really just post for Off Topic and, until now, informing people about BYM's state.
    I've just been playing WC for the past 2 years since BYM came to a close.
    I tried breaking into VC but it never quite stuck for me cause I couldn't stand the long as hell times it took to build one **** ship. It was the same with BP. I tried that a few years back, hated it, and left. I did actually give that a retry but realised I still hated it.
    I gave BYM:U a shot but I left after 4 months as that was basically when both my interest and the game itself died.
    I also gave TOME a shot but after like 3 matches, all I got outta that was the realisation that MOBA's were not my type of game genre to play.
    Now Im just stuck in the decaying version of WC. If that game/my interest in that dies, Im out completely.
    Yard said:
    I'd rather that happened. Some poor people still spend money on the game without realising. Some Spanish guy came into the forums a few days ago asking why the game was so buggy, he mentioned he was still a D.A.V.E. Club member (where you'd give Kixeye money monthly for in-game currency and a few negligible perks). I used my limited knowledge of Spanish and Google Translate to tell him to cancel his subscription, and that the game was no longer supported.
    I remember being around back when the Dave Club was a new thing.
    I'd throw back and forth the idea of joining if I had the cash. But then the game ended.
    So I never bothered.
    Not gonna lie, I kinda wish in a ways that BYM would just close as well. I ghost the game just to upgrade something. But once my Overworld base is maxed out,(can't give half a **** about Inferno) there's no reason to stay. I just wanna max my base, take a screenshot to remember the good ol' days and then leave the game to rest.
    Im bad at business and whatnot, so if I get this wrong, forgive me, but I have to ask, why does KIXEYE keep the game open?
    Keeping it alive when their doing jack all with it doesn't seem like a very profitable venture to me. It must cost money running its servers or whatever and they can't surely be making enough back from the game that lets them do that.
    There's one other thing Im wondering about BYM. I heard they had the final event, "Raise the Dead" at the ready before they jumped ship to BYM:U. Why didn't they give put that last event is as well before completely refocusing their efforts. Its such a waste and I was looking forward to it.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    I'm fairly sure they did do the last event. And remember they make ad revenue from the game as well as the money from the few people who must still buy shiny, and they save server space all the time by resetting inactive accounts.
  • Hyperius
    Hyperius
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 12,121
    Im bad at business and whatnot, so if I get this wrong, forgive me, but I have to ask, why does KIXEYE keep the game open?
    For the players. ^_^

KIXEYE Senior Moderator

Playing since 9/30/11

Helpful Links:  Site Rules / Report a Player / ToS / Ticket Status /

Have a problem? KIXEYE Customer Service

• Jacky.Liu
    Jacky.Liu
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 940
    who cares? it's a dead games with nothing but complants on the forms, and this might have people realise bym is a dead game
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Jacky.Liu said:
    who cares? it's a dead games with nothing but complants on the forms, and this might have people realise bym is a dead game
    I still think its a waste. I mean, they just threw out everything that was ever on those forums.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Jacky.Liu
    Jacky.Liu
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 940
    Jacky.Liu said:
    I still think its a waste. I mean, they just threw out everything that was ever on those forums.
    who cares about a dead game's history? just move on.
  • Cartofescu Wircea
    Cartofescu Wircea
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 448
    I think this is a sign from Kixeye to confirm BYM's decease.

It's been fun. Too bad all of the remaining memories from the past 4-5 years are all gone because they're not competent enough to at least sell bym to another company or leave it in the hands of the community to further update it by themselves.

RIP
    User ID :3438024 | I Like The Pie | APPLE PIE
  • No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,791
    Yard said:

You realize that this removal might be YOUR fault as a result of that conversation?
    That Spanish dude might literally have been the last bit of cashflow to KE from BYM.

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:
    I'm fairly sure they did do the last event. And remember they make ad revenue from the game as well as the money from the few people who must still buy shiny, and they save server space all the time by resetting inactive accounts.
    No. The last event the game ever held was called Hell-raisers, and it was the first one to feature the final Monster added to the game, Rezghul, the re-animator.
    However, the wikia does list one more event called Raise the Dead. But support was dropped which resulted in that events cancellation.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 23 Oct 2015, 6:00PM
    Jacky.Liu said:
    Jacky.Liu said:
    who cares about a dead game's history? just move on.
    I care. I spent 5 years in that game, if we count the 2 its been dead.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    I do like the idea of that one Spanish guy being their last paying customer, lol.

And re: that event, I don't think it was announced on the fourms (that I remember), so they probably stopped working on it quite early. I'd imagine Hell-Raisers was already done when they decided to cut support, so they decided to include it anyway.
  • Furbish Lousewort
    Furbish Lousewort
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2015 Posts: 3
    I like BYM, I just started playing. I am disappointed in Kixeye for letting this fun game die.
  • Cartofescu Wircea
    Cartofescu Wircea
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 448
    I like BYM, I just started playing. I am disappointed in Kixeye for letting this fun game die.

And the worst part is that they left it broken, incomplete and unbalanced.

New players will never be able to get Korath and his abilities, Krallen is no longer obtainable, that reviving monster can't be acquired in any way and worst of all, they ruined the entire satisfaction of destroying someone's yard. Back in the day when outposts, strongholds and whatever wm3 offers didn't exist at all, it was a pleasure to see your pack of monsters chew up an entire yard and see around 2m of each resource looted.

Now it's all about having 20 resource outposts that in a few days will create more resources than you will ever use.

I don't like to complain, but they should've at least tried to fix some of these before throwing the game away.
    User ID :3438024 | I Like The Pie | APPLE PIE
  • TJ (F.O.F)
    TJ (F.O.F)
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 3,527
    Holy... Return me the old forum every single bit of my memory of BYM lies in there T.T All da post and pictures and fans creations dang it
    A retired BYM Player who visits the forum once a year (Literally, okay maybe slightly more than that)

Proud to have once journeyed with my fellow F.O.F Members. Mistakes were made, but memories and bonds were forged.

In honor and memory of F.O.F and its members, the very first two recruitment threads:
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Holy... Return me the old forum every single bit of my memory of BYM lies in there T.T All da post and pictures and fans creations dang it
    It was BYM that kick started my interest in MMORTS  games, and it was the game which introduced me to KIXEYE. :|
    5 years back I watch my brother playing the game and decide I wanted too play it. Hell, I signed up for Facebook just to play that game.
    And KIXEYE does this. :s
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:
    I really wish I'd kept modship a little longer, just so that whenever the topic came up I could say the forums I moderate literally do not exist anymore.
    Didn't you say your modship dosappeared by mistake?
    Make a complaint dude.
    Your still, well, technically you WERE still listed as a mod at the bottom of the pages when the BYM forums were about the place.
    I remember. So technically you could still say the forums you were entrusted to moderate don't exist.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord

And the worst part is that they left it broken, incomplete and unbalanced.

New players will never be able to get Korath and his abilities, Krallen is no longer obtainable, that reviving monster can't be acquired in any way and worst of all, they ruined the entire satisfaction of destroying someone's yard. Back in the day when outposts, strongholds and whatever wm3 offers didn't exist at all, it was a pleasure to see your pack of monsters chew up an entire yard and see around 2m of each resource looted.

Now it's all about having 20 resource outposts that in a few days will create more resources than you will ever use.

I don't like to complain, but they should've at least tried to fix some of these before throwing the game away.
    I agree. The state they left the game is awful. The things crumbling away.
    A small tidy up wouldn't have hurt before they kicked the game off. Lime, they retired the game around the 13th of October 2013 as I recall.
    So they could have spent from the end of October til Christmas just cleaning a few things up and correcting issues. Then leave the game.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis
  • TJ (F.O.F)
    TJ (F.O.F)
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 3,527
    It was BYM that kick started my interest in MMORTS  games, and it was the game which introduced me to KIXEYE. :|
    5 years back I watch my brother playing the game and decide I wanted too play it. Hell, I signed up for Facebook just to play that game.
    Lol yea, it was BYM that brought me to the forums and kixeye. BYM was a really great game.A pity everything was left to rot away, and now even the forums are gone - the very last bit of memory and place for me to relinquish the old days are now gone :/ Haha, not sure whether to come back anymore. Only came back for the BYM forum lol.
    A retired BYM Player who visits the forum once a year (Literally, okay maybe slightly more than that)

Proud to have once journeyed with my fellow F.O.F Members. Mistakes were made, but memories and bonds were forged.

In honor and memory of F.O.F and its members, the very first two recruitment threads:
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Lol yea, it was BYM that brought me to the forums and kixeye. BYM was a really great game.A pity everything was left to rot away, and now even the forums are gone - the very last bit of memory and place for me to relinquish the old days are now gone :/ Haha, not sure whether to come back anymore. Only came back for the BYM forum lol.
    If your looking for some new forums to hang about instead, please go here.
    http://geekplayers.com/
    Its a cool as hell set of forums set up and run by Hyperius, and we're looking for members to build up the so far rather small, but awesome regardless, community.
    Bring some friends along as well. Join us.
    Me on my day's off...
    Thane_Mantis