Mobile mode of forum

Dazation
Dazation
Minor Nuisance
Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 247

Just wondering if were likely to get a new type of coding on the forum soon?
Markup language is actually quite old, I'm surprised that were using it, especially considering the vast majority of modern (post 2010) smartphones all support CSS, CSS+, HTML andHTML5.
When i make posts on the forum, it's only via my mobile and I've noticed a few inconvenient things on the mobile mode, predominantly due to the markdown language.
The main one is, as u can see in this post, there's no line gaps, where when I'm typing, the message box extends, and makes a new line when I hit enter, but once I hit send, it's lost, due to the mmarkdown.

The other big issue is identifying new posts to old posts, due to the white /white colour scheme chosen.

• Dazation
    Dazation
    Minor Nuisance

As you can see above, the two line gaps, they were inserted by me typing in two br / lines, not exclusively hitting the enter button.

We are also lacking the ability to edit /modify posts

• Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 37,470
    Dazation said:

get a new type of coding on the forum 

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, the site uses HTML 5, CSS and Javascript, as do a lot of sites out there. The Mobile side still needs improvements but it is better than it used to be.

With regard to losing formatting, I'll have to check into that, but it is unlikely to be a high priority at this time.
    Please do not contact me directly by Chat or via posts on my profile page. If I cannot deal with it on the forums, it should be taken straight to Support.
  • Dazation
    Dazation
    Minor Nuisance

Thanks for the reply Rich.
    What I mean is change to the current Markup language to well, basically anything.
    A common example is being forced to use a br code to create a line break in reply, or having to use any codes within <...> brackets, as opposed to standard [...] brackets, which respectively is abit out of date, but still quite important to have.

And isn't the forum team independent to the rest of kixeye, so wouldn't they have more free time to actively look into improving their work area?

• Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 37,470
    So what you are really asking for is to use [...] , aka BBCode? We won't be going back to that at all, it is outdated and never really was a standard. It just got used by a few of the bigger forums out there and others joined in. 

The toolbar we have covers everything you need. If you are trying to alter the HTML code, then you will have to use the accepted method of using<..>, but there is very little that you can add in there as opposed to using the toolbar.

Just because the forum team is independent doesn't mean they are not busy, and i can assure you they are.
    Please do not contact me directly by Chat or via posts on my profile page. If I cannot deal with it on the forums, it should be taken straight to Support.