Prizes for Events: Prerequisites

Holy_Salmon
Holy_Salmon
Skilled Warrior
Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 340
We all know that Events will happen in Vega. We also all know that special prizes will be unlockable. These prizes will have prerequisites that have to be met to unlock them.

In War Commander the prizes were unlocked by having just the 1 unit necessary. So I could rush to unlock the unit (say raptor) and never level it again and get the prize.

War Commander just recently added unit customization so I cannot speak towards that.

In Vega Commander prizes will probably take the form of ships, Weapons, Shields, Armour, Special mods, Engines etc. Events are a boon to the bottom line of the company. Simply put they generate Revenue while providing us with more Toys. It has to be a Win-Win for both groups, players and Kixeye. Experience in other games such as WarCommander have shown me that repairs are the sticking point for most players. The perception that Kixeye changes the game to kill off our fleets more frequently to encourage more coining, and especially making the mundane and boring task of getting resources harder PISSES OFF THE PLAYER BASE! Just look at the past level 30/35 rouge base change in WC...

Players don't mind getting resources for additional items if the rate of resource acquisition isn't made lower. I'm talking about resources per minute of farming.

This being said:

I would suggest that prizes have multiple prerequisites. A weapon which is an improvement of say... Beam-Laser would need Beam Laser V as a prerequisite. Not just Beam Laser l. This means a player must actually go through and invest the time and resources to complete techs to get potential event prizes. Building requirements can also be added to module prizes like Arms Lab V, Vll or Tech Lab Vll etc.

you can also have a resource cost to unlocking certain techs that are prizes. I may want to unlock something, but then I may not have enough resources, so I attack a player's base, coin resources, or spend more time farming cargo.. all these create instances for potential coining or more playing time by players. Both advantageous to Kixeye.

For Ships I would have a Bridge, Hangar and/or Ship factory prerequisite as well as a prerequisite of a ship already unlocked to get the prize ship.

This encourages full exploration and development of technologies by the player-base. If patches change weapons or ships, then more players already have said tech finished, and can adapt more quickly and with less **** and complaining.

Also, Kixeye benefits as people who do not have a prerequisite to the needed tech level will be more inclined to coin to get to that point. Another source of revenue, which means the game will rely slightly less on making us coin for repairs... I.E making our fleets take more damage in the course of the regular game-play... Farming Cargos.

• Oliver1989
    Oliver1989
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 148
    If serious amounts of research are required for prizes, that might otherwise have been skipped over then they would have to give us much more warning about prize specs and requirements long in advance of the event. I dont see this happening, as the tech trees are currently pretty open, and only really dependent on building level (as I think it should be). 

In terms of what prizes will be available, they need to be careful to neither saturate players with nearly useless units (as happened in war commander), or simply put bigger, heavier versions of existing ships (ie, use some creativity).

What I totally agree with is that farming should not get more tedious, time consuming and risky. The 30/35 rogue change you mentioned is the reason I now play vega instead of WC! 
  • Krazie243
    Krazie243
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 10,669
    I think that with the right kind of prizes this suggestion won't be needed. For example: Elite weapons or ships would be an enhancement to the weapons/ships. Ships don't have multiple levels so are irrelevant to discuss, but if the weapon enhancement was say a rate of fire increase then each of the 5 levels would show a higher than previous DPS. Similar with shields or cargo efficiency, etc.
    I don't play much anymore =(
  • Holy_Salmon
    Holy_Salmon
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 340
    It would be quite unimaginative to copy the war commander method and release Elite Beam-Laser, Elite Plasma Charger, Elite Spectral Shield, Elite cargo expander, Elite Talon.....

This game also has short upgrade times. I've spent the necessary resources to upgrade the techs as I advance my technology buildings. It doesn't delay anything. My building  and technology upgrades keep pace with each other.

Unlocking a new class of ship shouldn't be free once you have the experience. There should be a resource cost. Like-wise with technologies. If they release a module that increases DPS, Rate of Fire, Range, adds specific  damage resistance to armour.. these can be unlocked at level 0 for free like the greyed techs are we haven't researched yet are... Then you have to spend resources to level these technologies or to actually unlock the ship once you unlock the Option of getting it.
  • HAWKEYES33
    HAWKEYES33
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jan 2013 Posts: 2,191
    Here is an idea: players unlock the ability to research the [insert unlock here], but still have to research it to use it.
    you're idea makes no sense.
    We all know that Events will happen in Vega. We also all know that special prizes will be unlockable. These prizes will have prerequisites that have to be met to unlock them.

In War Commander the prizes were unlocked by having just the 1 unit necessary. So I could rush to unlock the unit (say raptor) and never level it again and get the prize.

War Commander just recently added unit customization so I cannot speak towards that.

In Vega Commander prizes will probably take the form of ships, Weapons, Shields, Armour, Special mods, Engines etc. Events are a boon to the bottom line of the company. Simply put they generate Revenue while providing us with more Toys. It has to be a Win-Win for both groups, players and Kixeye. Experience in other games such as WarCommander have shown me that repairs are the sticking point for most players. The perception that Kixeye changes the game to kill off our fleets more frequently to encourage more coining, and especially making the mundane and boring task of getting resources harder PISSES OFF THE PLAYER BASE! Just look at the past level 30/35 rouge base change in WC...

Players don't mind getting resources for additional items if the rate of resource acquisition isn't made lower. I'm talking about resources per minute of farming.

This being said:

I would suggest that prizes have multiple prerequisites. A weapon which is an improvement of say... Beam-Laser would need Beam Laser V as a prerequisite. Not just Beam Laser l. This means a player must actually go through and invest the time and resources to complete techs to get potential event prizes. Building requirements can also be added to module prizes like Arms Lab V, Vll or Tech Lab Vll etc.

you can also have a resource cost to unlocking certain techs that are prizes. I may want to unlock something, but then I may not have enough resources, so I attack a player's base, coin resources, or spend more time farming cargo.. all these create instances for potential coining or more playing time by players. Both advantageous to Kixeye.

For Ships I would have a Bridge, Hangar and/or Ship factory prerequisite as well as a prerequisite of a ship already unlocked to get the prize ship.

This encourages full exploration and development of technologies by the player-base. If patches change weapons or ships, then more players already have said tech finished, and can adapt more quickly and with less **** and complaining.

Also, Kixeye benefits as people who do not have a prerequisite to the needed tech level will be more inclined to coin to get to that point. Another source of revenue, which means the game will rely slightly less on making us coin for repairs... I.E making our fleets take more damage in the course of the regular game-play... Farming Cargos.

I think we can hold off on these ideas for now. i doubt we are even close to having an event.