Navigation Relay

• MagicSarap
    MagicSarap
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 5,522
    thefettler wrote: »
    why not have a vote to see if people actually want this in the game!!! yet again kixeye adding stuff nobody asked for or nobody really wants. shipyard lvl 3 would be nice were we could do 1 build and 1 refit at the same time. i sure people this would go down a storm.

A few people have already provided threads showing that this was something that was asked for. Please keep comments on topic.
  • The Dwarf
    The Dwarf
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 104
    I like to travel a few sectors, but find I can only go south if I want to leave the game while the journey is under way. Could you look to fix the issue where you can't automatically hide under a drac base when you go north?

On the whole I like the idea.
    Alaskaj: "Remember, just because you can't do it doesn't mean the other person is cheating."
  • Boothys
    Boothys
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 284
    That is the intent. Also, it would allow Alliances to hit bases further away that would typically take a long time to travel to.

yes fine it will open more bases to hit but as it stand most players are having trouble hitting bases in the set ranges we have at the moment
                                                                                                         Level: 78
                                                                                                     Sectors: All over
                                                                                                     Happy Hunting
                                                                                         Http://support.kixeye.com.mail/
  • Sprouts
    Sprouts
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 3,716
    People have been asking for something like this since the 850-square travel limit was removed. My own idea was to have an arbiter mod that allowed teleportation, so this sounds just as good. ;)

Need some better definition of the choices, however. What does it mean "never"/"always" vulnerable? As things stand now, a fleet that is parked somewhere on the map is vulnerable to attack, while a fleet in motion isn't. So, are we talking about while it's in wormhole mode? Or more like the brief pause when a fleet is getting launched/recalled from base?

gratuitous complaint about drydockers: it is not necessary to turn every single thread into a drydock discussion.
    (\(\
    (o.o)
    (")(")*
  • Kman
    Kman
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 642
    I mainly hit in sector/ very close bases out of sector, so this wont much affect me.

Wish you would focus on more of the other time entensive elements of the game, but I guess this is good for some who want to hit hours away but dont have the time.
  • Mr. Blizzard
    Mr. Blizzard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 3,176
    If players ARE vulnerable upon exiting it, I would put like a bubble or a ring around the relay so fleets can pass with ease but inside the ring you can't do any battles or engage in a battle both fleets would have to be outside of the protection zone to be hit. In addition there should only be a certain amount of fleets a person can have in the protection zone at any given time so they can have maybe 2 fleets in that zone and he would not be able to send 2 more fleets out unless they moved their current fleets out of the protection zone, and they can only have their fleets in the zone for a certain amount of time. I.E. 10 minutes because who would need 10 minutes to find a base there are drac bases you could hide under. After the time is up the fleet must be moved right away to keep traffic cleared.

Yes there might be some abuse to this but it would probably help in case of the SOS or flash crash.

Edit in simple terms: fleet travels through relay network (has a set limit of ships it can protect at a time)
    set amount of time to move the fleet time expires:
    3 options here:
    1. Fleet is moved outside of the ring allowing another ship to go in the ring or come to via the network,
    2. Fleet is sent back through the relay network back to it's home sector and back to it's owner's base,
    3. Fleet is moved under the nearest drac base
    If fleet is moved in time option here:
    1. if fleet is moved before time expires by the owner then it can be hit and sunk.
    If fleet is killed when owner is on the owner has 2 options:
    1. Go the long way home
    2. Go through the relay network, bypasses everything with the set limit it can hold (since it's dead it will be the only exception, so if your fleet is at .5% health you have to find an open relay network to use or go the long way home)

• MagicSarap
    MagicSarap
    Unicorn Overlord
    Sprouts wrote: »
    People have been asking for something like this since the 850-square travel limit was removed. My own idea was to have an arbiter mod that allowed teleportation, so this sounds just as good. ;)

Need some better definition of the choices, however. What does it mean "never"/"always" vulnerable? As things stand now, a fleet that is parked somewhere on the map is vulnerable to attack, while a fleet in motion isn't. So, are we talking about while it's in wormhole mode? Or more like the brief pause when a fleet is getting launched/recalled from base?

gratuitous complaint about drydockers: it is not necessary to turn every single thread into a drydock discussion.

Essentially, it would be the "wormhole" mode or something to the effect of x seconds after exiting the Relay Tower, you are protected.
  • Frayzor
    Frayzor
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 203
    I like to travel a few sectors, but find I can only go south if I want to leave the game while the journey is under way. Could you look to fix the issue where you can't automatically hide under a drac base when you go north?

On the whole I like the idea.

you can 'go north'....you have to do this. Bookmark the drac base with the 'standard' bookmark. Then view your base or even reload. Then very quickly, go to the map and click the bookmarked drac base. Hopefully the base won't load for a second or two, giving you time to place another bookmark just slightly north (north-west) of that 'standard' bookmark. When the drac base loads, your '2nd' bookmark should be about half way between the standard bookmark and the edge of the drac base. Send north bound fleets to this 2nd bookmark and they park safely under the drac base. Practice on a nearby drac base. It's easy, i do it all the time.
  • Vilkata
    Vilkata
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 74
    There should be no protection. Currently "distance" is the only thing that keeps entire sectors from being perma-bubbled by distant warmonger sectors. If there is going to be a warp relay system, then sectors need to be able to defend themselves by guarding the incoming relays. It'd still require people to be active and have worthy fleets to defend it, and it'd encourage attackers to bring allies to clear a path.

Right now this isn't Battle Pirates, it's "watch someone drive through your fleet, hit your friend's base, then sail away safe" Pirates.

Overall I think the Relay is a bad idea, it'll just promote griefing since griefers won't have to wait a week to relocate each time they want to attack, but if it has to exist, at least let us attempt to intercept incoming hostiles.
  • The Dwarf
    The Dwarf
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 104
    Frayzor wrote: »
    you can 'go north'....you have to do this. Bookmark the drac base with the 'standard' bookmark. Then view your base or even reload. Then very quickly, go to the map and click the bookmarked drac base. Hopefully the base won't load for a second or two, giving you time to place another bookmark just slightly north (north-west) of that 'standard' bookmark. When the drac base loads, your '2nd' bookmark should be about half way between the standard bookmark and the edge of the drac base. Send north bound fleets to this 2nd bookmark and they park safely under the drac base. Practice on a nearby drac base. It's easy, i do it all the time.

Thanks for the tip - I'll try it. However, it would be better if the game were adjusted to permit travel to any drac base from any angle without having to do that.
    Alaskaj: "Remember, just because you can't do it doesn't mean the other person is cheating."
  • Shiba
    Shiba
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 3,575
    MAgicSarap....

your poll is well lacking one very specific answer..

NO FRIGGIN WAY should this ever get into the game...

Honestly, harry potter ships, now we have this.. Come on..

This is a post nuke war, where we are supposed to be fighting for our survival.. Not some BS warp around the seas, mythical stargate universe.
  • Steven Millhouse
    Steven Millhouse
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 650
    I guess this is how you increase map speed without actually increasing map speed? Currently one of the "defenses" some bases have is they are just too damned far away!! With this system farms will cry even harder because I could move 10 sectors away and still farm an ez base. If you do decide to have a portal...I say everyone is vulnerable because then that would be a central meeting point for FvF! Might even bring FvF back into the game. Alliance vs. Alliance fighting so that one person can dodge into the portal...LOL. Sounds kind of fun ... unless you are the one going thru the portal!
    Battle Pirates: LvL 56 FirstMateSteve-DbD-
    Backyard Monsters: LvL 47
    War Commander: LvL 32
  • General Hawk
    General Hawk
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 216
    OK I like this feature and the alliance guard feature. However I think that before introducing something new KIXEYE needs to take a look at there so called fair level system. I mean when a level 60 can attack a 40 really how balanced is that fight granted if I was a 60 and hit a 40 I think I would rather quit the game.

Instead of the free for all after level 40 how about after say level 50 you can only hit +/- 10 levels that would balance the game out a little.

I am a lvl 49 and if a lvl 60 with a Jugg, Strike Cruiser, MCX or Dread X hits me I know how it will end with a leveling of my base and yeas I have a good base design but without the right base guard fleet like the Goliaths which I would say from watching others getting hit that the goliaths do little good against MCX
    Game Name: General Hawk
    Level 43 (almost) 44
    Group CFA (Chosen Few Alliance

• Khalsa_
    Khalsa_
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 68
    There should always be a vulnerability, however, I can see a cooldown for 30 seconds or a minute post exit from a relay to allow people to get used to moving their fleets. If it is abused it can always be modified.
    Game Name: Khalsa 
    Alliance: Lapdance [LPD]
  • Stivrax
    Stivrax
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 199
    I personally think this would be cool so then i could go visit wolvestooth again and not have a 19 hour trip back to my base after being sunk
    Stivrax
    Hulls won- who cares
  • Raizer_Of_Hell
    Raizer_Of_Hell
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 151
    well i believe i just got a **** thank you kixeye.
  • ExRaided
    ExRaided
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,093
    When are reduced build times coming so I can actually use this feature when it's implemented?

I'm sorry but you guys keeps adding relatively pointless additions/features that very few, if any have asked for. When the vast majority requests a second shipyard/drydock or reduced build times.

Please give us feedback on this already. Swag told us a few months back that the drydock was "being looked into", and we've heard nothing since. Either tell us you're working on it, or tell us it isn't coming.
    You can tell the same lie a thousand times
    But it never gets any more true
    So close your eyes once more and once more believe
    That they all still believe in you
  • Moza
    Moza
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 65
    One of the primary concerns here is the potential for spawn camping at a Relay Tower keeping other players from using the feature at all. Can there be MORE than one Relay tower in a sector and when you are in transit you know the sector but don't know where you will be placed in the sector ????? And the home sector does not no what Relay Tower you are using. Or can you use the Drac home bases in Sectors to Arrive in a new Sector as you have them there in game already and No one would know where you are arriving at what drac base??????????.
    Just thinking thats all. :)
  • MagicSarap
    MagicSarap
    Unicorn Overlord
    Moza wrote: »
    One of the primary concerns here is the potential for spawn camping at a Relay Tower keeping other players from using the feature at all. Can there be MORE than one Relay tower in a sector and when you are in transit you know the sector but don't know where you will be placed in the sector ????? And the home sector does not no what Relay Tower you are using. Or can you use the Drac home bases in Sectors to Arrive in a new Sector as you have them there in game already and No one would know where you are arriving at what drac base??????????.
    Just thinking thats all. :)

In the post, it is stated that each sector will have four Relay Towers.
  • AL CAPONE
    AL CAPONE
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 663
    Don't see a need you can relocate and there are other things you could work on to improve game.......
    FARMIN_FORTIES   (formerly AL_CAPONE)-level 70-Former Coiner
  • 00zau
    00zau
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 6,403
    Trogar wrote: »
    And? Saying they listen is believing "Drac Bases - Coming Soon". That thread sure doesn't have 149+ pages of players asking for it though does it?

**** me! That post was from BEFORE I started playing! Pretty sure THAT was a valid request at the time, but hardly relevant to the game TODAY.
    Is this how out of touch and behind the Kixeye crew is? I am sure there were requests for alliances that predate these... again, Really?
    I think an answer to the DD/RF yard question is a VALID topic in TODAY's game.

For the record, I DO think its a cool idea, and think the attack free area mentioned by another would solve most problems with it. Also maybe a time limit for how long you can sit there, then it moves you out of the battle free zone.

It's even more relevant now that it was in the older post, since we have 100 sector travel distance now.
  • magicman3350
    magicman3350
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 50
    silly idea. don't do it. make all ships travel 10 mph faster on the map
  • GigaPirate
    GigaPirate
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 5,046
    Vilkata wrote: »
    sectors need to be able to defend themselves

No, sectors don't need to be able to defend themselves because sectors are completely irrelevant in the game today. As of two weeks ago, we have alliances and we have nonaligned players - if you are still worried about defending the system that breaks up the comms so that 1 million people aren't all talking together at the same time, you have completely lost touch with this game.

I think the navigation relay will be fun for a while, but even if it's free at the onset, it won't stay free for long because it will start to cut into the revenue currently being earned from people who pay to relocate early. With that in mind, I am voting in favor of protection because that's the only way people will be willing to pay for it, so it might as well be set up right from the beginning.
    "we have never banned on IP address, we ban cheaters. If you cheat you will be banned." CM QRich
  • Sprouts
    Sprouts
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 3,716
    Frayzor wrote: »

Actually you don't even need to use a second bookmark if the target drac base is far enough away, since the map loads in stages. Just load your base, load the map, click the fleet you want to send, click the drac bookmark, then click to send the fleet to a point that's a tad northwest of the bookmark before the base graphic loads. Works best if you have a lot of lag.

Back on topic... a "safe" zone around the relay sounds good. It could be set up to have a gigantic graphic, so that an arriving ship automatically exits underneath it where it can't be clicked anyway - just like a drac base.
    (\(\
    (o.o)
    (")(")*
  • n0s_speed
    n0s_speed
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 3,636
    have fleets never vulnerable..........also, let's say we send a fleet to travel to sector 117 from 191, have the fleet to auto use the StartGate SG-1, i mean relay network.
    In Game Name: n0s_speed
    Alliance: DOA
    Level: 66

• Gainn
    Gainn
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2010 Posts: 867
    ships exiting the relay (stargate) should be 'cloaked' or otherwise obscured until they are manually moved. the only exception to this should be players in the same alliance.

being able to attack people as they use them will make them too much of a risk due to lag / flash crash / SOS / whiteouts / bluescreens etc..

This feature is not exactly what the great crowd are asking for, but it will certainly make things more interesting.
    Winner - EVERYTHING!
    sheranraj wrote: »
    if i get banned I am gonna quit playing this game..
  • gissur
    gissur
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 139
    I like this. I think the fleet should be guarded or in protection mode for about 30-60 min or so. Also I have one more idea. Would it be possible to have some kind of color system so that it would be easy to find bases you need to attack that will give you points. Like for me I need to hit bases over the lvl 50 so I would see green or red for all bases in alliance over that level.....Dont know how much trouble this would be.
  • therealslimshady
    therealslimshady
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 307
    I like this idea
    Three ships for the Forsaken-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Draconian-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for the A.I. doomed to die,
    One for the Will Harbin on his dark throne,
    In the Land of Kixeye where the Shadows lie.
    One ship to rule them all, One ship to find them,
    One ship to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Kixeye where the Shadows lie.
  • freeedom
    freeedom
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 3,255
    Sounds like time bandits and star gate.

Wouldn't it be better and less trouble giving the fleet a relocate option in the dock slot to a sector that's more than +1 away.

for example im in sector 1.

select dock
    select fleet
    launch fleet or relocate fleet to sector 3 and beyond ( please input sector )

And to be totally honest kixeye, im pretty sure the community would prefer other times shortened not just travel times.
    freedom  NBK                                                                                                                     

Lv66 - ID 990134                                                                                                              

http://www.youtube.com/user/freedom14639?feature=mhee

• Max Last
    Max Last
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 3,254
    Pamela wrote: »
    ewww I have to agree here, this is just ammunition for sector police to convince new players that we aren't SUPPOSED to hit insector ..... so far, not a fan.

You whine more than they do. Suck it up and hit who you want. If you don't like the response you get, too bad. Nothing in the rules against it.
    Back to my exact same spot:  Tower west, sector 7. coords 3631,461
This discussion has been closed.