• Daniel_Longsword
    Daniel_Longsword
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 53
    Now to watch all the sheep follow this.
    VEGA Conflict - Lv32 - Planets Visited: 414
    Battle Pirates - Lv53 - Visited Sectors: 1, 2, 101, 280, 383, 449
    War Commander - Lv30 - Visited Sectors: 29

Bold is current sector/planet. Underline is home sector/planet.

Ashamed to admit that I was in sector 1. What a dump that became.
  • JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja
    Greenhorn
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 12
    <3 YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS <3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is all :D
  • Carl B
    Carl B
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 394
    I voted no just to be obstinate. It remains to be seen how strong this will make my base but quite a bit I think. Maybe too much?
  • CurlyPubes
    CurlyPubes
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 823
    Base designs are too limited, this change will liven it up a lot.
    SOS? Sorry, my magic fleet that sucks attackers out of bases and fixes your buildings is repairing.  
  • Dilligaff70
    Dilligaff70
    Greenhorn
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 22
    Excelent idea , will definately make life more challenging for us Base hitters.

I would also like to see a few more saved designs allowed as well , maybe up to 5 could be available ?
    Raid Hulls Owned - Barracuda, Goliath . Strike Cruiser. Interdictor, Dred X, Battleship, Juggernout, Triton, Hurricane, Mercury
    Sectors visited 187, 305,151,388,82,456,307
    Current Level 60
  • Shiba
    Shiba
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 3,575
    I hope you are still reading this far back into the thread..

My only concern. With my current base set up, just removing the extra land that this change would give me. I now have 10 more land to play with.

I am already SFB proof, so I do not have to worry about adding more to the ring.
    I can add a couple tiles to the middle island and go back to 4 or 5 WHs, BUT for the most part I will be extending my channel quite a bit. Doing this will make the attacking fleet waste very valuable time maneuvering through the channel before they even get to the meat of my base. ( which for the most part will not change )

this will do a few things.
    Make base fleets w/o engs more likely to time out
    Makes FFs and HHs even more useless against me.
    IF they do have Engs, makes my VMs even better ( -20 percent accuracy ) SO fleets die even faster then they do now.
    Making Forsaken ships even weaker in my base since they do not have a base resist.

I would love to see this added.. BUT I do fear that it will hinder base attacks making them even harder then they already are.
  • Patiszerg
    Patiszerg
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 695
    No... bases are already hard enough as is to get into if you don't have the almighty Dread-X with 2-3 prep fleets.
    Dee McLean wrote: »
    ...there is no difference, a base cannot get any flatter than flat ;)
    FKIT wrote: »
    Second, do you remember what you did before base planner? MOVED CHIT BY HAND ONE PAINFUL WALL AT A TIME!!
  • manamal
    manamal
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 205
    Why fix something that isn't broken? Does it improve something or is it just a change for the fact of change?

Are layouts being negatively effected right now? Nope... so why change anything.
    Manamal - SMASHERS
    Lvl 57
  • 00zau
    00zau
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 6,403
    This would essentially be a large boost to the number of available land tiles; and I personally wouldn't be opposed to more land. I think it looks kinda ugly like that, so if you're planning on boosting base defense you might as well just give us another 4-6 tiles, but what the hell, I'll take what I can get (not that I really need it)
  • manamal
    manamal
    Minor Nuisance
    Shiba wrote: »

My only concern. With my current base set up, just removing the extra land that this change would give me. I now have 10 more land to play with.

I am already SFB proof, so I do not have to worry about adding more to the ring.
    I can add a couple tiles to the middle island and go back to 4 or 5 WHs, BUT for the most part I will be extending my channel quite a bit. Doing this will make the attacking fleet waste very valuable time maneuvering through the channel before they even get to the meat of my base. ( which for the most part will not change )

IF they do have Engs, makes my VMs even better ( -20 percent accuracy ) SO fleets die even faster then they do now.
    Making Forsaken ships even weaker in my base since they do not have a base resist.

I would love to see this added.. BUT I do fear that it will hinder base attacks making them even harder then they already are.

Completely agree with everything you wrote. My base is already pretty solid... having extra land will make it almost impossible because I can add to the channel and make more turns. This will have some serious effects on the types of base fleets you will need to use. I guess this means refitting which equals coining.

Not really sure why anything with land and layouts needs to be changed in the first place.
    Manamal - SMASHERS
    Lvl 57
  • HYDRO-005
    HYDRO-005
    Greenhorn
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 7
    may be good but a couple more land tiles like 3-5 more and a few more turrets
    HYDRO
  • andy_v
    andy_v
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 1,148
    If we could just rotate the base within the diamond shaped layout there would be no need for diagnal chains. Perhaps we should go that route first.
  • manamal
    manamal
    Minor Nuisance
    If the goal is making base designs tougher and keeping fleets out then maybe a simplier and better solution is adding 2-6 more land tiles.

A "diamond" land layout does look pretty ugly... just imagine turrets and walls set up on them too.
    Manamal - SMASHERS
    Lvl 57
  • Target
    Target
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 4,296
    I like it.
  • sean m
    sean m
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 486
    it doesnt do a thing i dont get it
  • stamienewman
    stamienewman
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 3
    let us do this we been asking for along time it would help save our base
  • alanf
    alanf
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,348
    since this has overwhelming support, any chance of an ETA on implementation?
    Alanf  - I was pounding bases at level 50, so why don't you 50s hit me now?
  • kreigsmarine
    kreigsmarine
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 4
    Like the idea with increases to ships, bases have stayed Stagnant for along time
  • SOSspeeder101
    SOSspeeder101
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 65
    I like this idea much better than allowing diagonal squares, it would allow us to use the available space more efficiently without changing the maximum base size or the land title rules.
    This is totally needed i struggled when i made my base because the weird tilted area.It messes with my designs i have in my head.I am very creative when allowed but this does not allow.Also diagonal chains look really stupid.I woulda voted yes if they made it look a bit more like a mountain of ground around your base other then flat ground diagonal to each other because that looks silly.I voted don't mind either way.
  • dannitin
    dannitin
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 1
    Now, if this thing is going to be happened then, we gonna need over powered fleet than dread x to crack bases. But i love it.
  • Kang SPZ
    Kang SPZ
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 85
    Is this a real question? Any (base defender) wants this. Attacking it is a pain in the @ss though. So many other things we all want before this. (But glad to see your thinking of addressing a major issue) Bases are too weak these days. ships are over powered
    Kang Level 58---NBK
    We hit in sector, every sector. Deal with it
  • jimt
    jimt
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 127
    Shiba wrote: »

Good post. This new change will make raid ships absolutely essential for base hitting.
    Also it'll be an excuse for Kixeye to release even more overpowered ships in the future. Anybody with pure forsaken tech will be left out even further in the cold.
    Now, why'd you think Kixeye would be doing this???
    yup, $$$.

JTatC
  • --NEMESIS--
    --NEMESIS--
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 67
    I Like the idea, you will have to find a way of balancing an offensive strike on a base, like increasing Base attack timer from 5:00 mins to 6:00 or even 10:00 mins, at the moment there are a lot of bases that are designed to time you out, with the increased amount of land tiles this improvement would give you making an intricate design of DOOM!! will be easier, but a player should be sent home Dead not aloud to sail away as he ran out of time again.

So to sum it up Diagonal land placement Great Idea :D with more spread out design's an attacker will need more time, should keep a good balance in my opinion.
  • burnt
    burnt
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 81
    I don't mind either way. BUT this will make most DNX fleets time out. (NOT ALL). Seen a few designs, A blitz would have a hard time making it. I just think that the 40 LVLs are going to have a harder time, a lot have LVL 3 turrets and have no DU4.
    “I pity that man who wants a coat so cheap that the man or woman who produces the cloth shall starve in the process.” Benjamin Harrison
  • Doomstay
    Doomstay
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 18
    The proposed addition opens the door to several new building strategies and could as was stated before make bases stronger again. Incorporate a subroutine to check for validity of design (much like a spellchecker) and this would be completely and totally awesome!
  • WaterDog
    WaterDog
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,321
    How about fixing the bugs and glitches before anything is added, or is that to much to ask??
  • Malta
    Malta
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 5
    WOW, this is something i have always dreamed of having from the day i started playing this game
  • Rob U
    Rob U
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 122
    In order for the change not to have a long term detrimental impact on the game, several other changes will have to be made to maintain or improve balance between base defence and offence at the 35-45 range. Under the current rules, implementation would mean that only blitz fleets would have the potential to get all the way into bases. But right now HH's are the closest thing to a blitz that can be built by level 35-45's.

So maintaining balance at the mid range would require;
    a reduction in tiles to keep routes short,
    a forsaken blitz ship,
    or expansion of level ranges for the current 35-45s.

Unless one of those things happen, or a similar solution, there will be even less potential bases to hit at a level when resources are already tight. Thus the change as currently proposed would continue the cycle of stronger bases and less resources once people hit 40.

While this may be great for high levels and wont effect low levels, it will provide one more barrier for people at 40 to overcome. My concern is that this would mean less people moving into the end game and a shorter life for BP over all as endgame players lose interest and targets. This is not to say the change cant work or be beneficial. I only mean to imply it must be accompanied with a deliberate balancing effort.
  • bobber
    bobber
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 50
    Why not just rotate the bases 45 degrees so they are square to the outer limitations and diagonals would not be needed at all? this would make base designs much easier and neater. I would think it could be implemented right in the base designer feature pretty easily and players would have the option to use it or not.
  • total burnination
    total burnination
    Master Tactician
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 2,050
    I think we should be able to make a chain for the corners to save land tiles then people would stop crying on how we need mor land tiles
    Battle Pirates name: Deadly_D3/Level 45/Sector 51 ATM
    Proud winner of Hail A-B-Vortex torps T-A, Arc missile 1-2, Poseidon Depth Charge 1-2-3, Phalanx Anti-Missile 1 Compound Armor D5-X Cluster Warheads 1, Speed system 1, Strike System 2, Alloy Armor MX-1, Stealth Attack System 1, Seige drone 1-2.
    Hulls: Battle Barge A, Corvette, Frigate, Destroyer, Destroyer X, Battle Cruiser
This discussion has been closed.