Pointless wars

Alejandro Dela Cruz
Alejandro Dela Cruz
Minor Nuisance
Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 174
edited 12 Nov 2012, 3:15PM
Kixeye, i think there is something needs to be changed within the game.

When you think about it, Wars are pointless.

You don't lose anything.

Depos = Infinite resources(Too easy to get)
Player's base = Too easy to kill

A player will only get bubbled. He just have to wait for a few hours to get his base ready again. He does not lose units, all he needs to do is just repair. Pretty much boring when you think about it.

The game is actually boring, No loss, while you can gain anything without attacking someone.

The part with having no loss when attacking a player sucks balls. I could agree that it is only logical if we attack AI depos and rogue bases and our units just needs to be repaired. However, attacking a player's base should be different. It juts makes no sense.

Your thoughts?
  • Anthony Sharma
    Anthony Sharma
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 2,544
    There is interesting stuff to come after the game is stabilized. Fighting will have much more of a point, both against npcs and against people. Extra stuff that does not take away anything from anyone. Again, not going to happen for a while though.
  • Endor
    Endor
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 660

You don't lose anything.

Your thoughts?

It's a tough balancing act to achieve, especially within a MMO.

Take a game like World of Warcraft. You can engage in massive battles against anonymous enemies, but can you ever truly really "lose" anything? If you die you might lose some XP but then you respawn back at your home base and you head out fighting again. You can fight & quest against NPCs, or you can battle against other people, but no one ever "dies".

Or how about Team Fortress. Death matters even less in games like those, you just respawn back at your base and go back into the fight within seconds. There's leveling system, and if you're good you can gain levels faster, but if you're mediocre you can still progress through the levels. There's no big penalty to "losing".

However there are games such as Diablo II where there was a hardcore mode, where if you made a mistake against an enemy, you could die for good and lose weeks or months worth of progress. It added an extra level of challenge to the game, and of course a whole series of problems too.

So are you advocating for something like a Hardcore server where players who choose a more "serious" game can wipe other players completely off the map? Or just some tweaking of the game code to have bigger penalties for when other players clobber your base?

Because when it comes right down to it, pretty much every game is "pointless". The point is just to have fun, maybe learn some new skills, and interact with other people. This is true whether you're talking about Monopoly, or Quake, or flag football.
  • jstefak
    jstefak
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 82
    Endor...really liked your comments.....

But going back to Alejandro's original post.....about pointless.......there is an ebb and flow of who attacks you and how they do it....and then how you retaliate.....the whole point is the strategy that you pursue to defeat them.

And that's what is is all about....how you beat the other player...with the resources you have.....and BEST of all...the satisfaction that you did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Retribution - Level 32
  • billsmafia
    billsmafia
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 10
    i always like in battle pirates where draconian fleets would attack resources your ship took over oil rigs etc. i think it would be fun if rouge forces attacked depots or even mega rouge bases that you needed like 2-3 players to hit but produce tons of XP and resources just a mega base with like 20 mega tanks and elite hellfire and flak tanks etc and turrets mortars out the wazoo
  • Chris Bowyer
    Chris Bowyer
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 1,894
    I think destroying bases should be harder and hurt more. Like repairing buildings one at a time instead of all at once in about an hour (there's only one dozer after all). Maybe it's worse if a building is destroyed rather than just damaged, so you have to defend the "useless" buildings we currently put on the outside. You should have to make serious decisions about which buildings to repair first... Maybe it takes a day or so of play-time, not just go to bed and wake up repaired.

And yes of course, it would need other changes to maintain balance.

Currently I hardly ever attack player bases, it does them more harm to snipe their platoons. That doesn't seem to me to be in the spirit of the game.
    -X-
    Sector 121
    It wouldn't be fun if it was easy.
  • OreoOreo
    OreoOreo
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 373
    I oppose this because the biggies will slaughter the weaker ones and never let a weaker one keep his troops.
  • OreoOreo
    OreoOreo
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 373
    What I believe is depo thieving should not be so discouraged. Alliances just removed the word war when it comes to depos and capturing them.if a weak player( I am one at level 14) cannot hold a depo bad luck. It is supposed to be war not bullying or change the name to bullying commander. And there should not be 5 mins waiting time between posts. Maybe 3 mins or less( off topic)
  • Sam O Harrington
    Sam O Harrington
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 395
    They are going to have the resource thoruim or something like that so there will always be war. The guy who likes fast cars hookers and blow said there wont be many so expect his paycheck to go up. The thorium will be found in depots it will change the abilites of many units to be able to customize.
  • Alejandro Dela Cruz
    Alejandro Dela Cruz
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 174
    Well on my own idea.

depo's should have a duration. And they spawn in a specific day of a week.
    Players should lose units when attacking a base not repair.
    50% rule should never be there.

AI platoons should be roaming in the map too. For exp farming.
  • Katastroof
    Katastroof
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 1,925

You don't lose anything.

Depos = Infinite resources(Too easy to get) if you see my proposal a bit lower about the rogues (as resources become more valuable, people will fight over depots more) and many other proposals on the forum there are plenty of options to change that, I like a level limit on depots and the idea that you need to put troops in there if you leave it open for X amount of time rogues will reclaim it
    Player's base = Too easy to kill

A player will only get bubbled. He just have to wait for a few hours to get his base ready again. He does not lose units, all he needs to do is just repair. Pretty much boring when you think about it.
    I've played other games where once you get whiped you'll have to rebuilt for weeks or longer, I kind of like it this way
    The game is actually boring, No loss, while you can gain anything without attacking someone.
    I would like to see alot less rogues on the map so you cannot just find 15 lvl 30 rogues within 100 hexes from your base as such it'll become harder to get resources
    The part with having no loss when attacking a player sucks balls. I could agree that it is only logical if we attack AI depos and rogue bases and our units just needs to be repaired. However, attacking a player's base should be different. It juts makes no sense.

Your thoughts?

my thoughts in red

On your last post, platoons don't give you xp only upgrading, building buildings and farming resources do, either from rogue or player bases, depots don't give xp either.
    HellNBack lvl 37 On strike
    Proud member of WCV

Event prices and sickle prices all unlocked :)

My ideas to make events fun again

• LoneW
    LoneW
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 691
    Katastroof wrote: »
    I like a level limit on depots and the idea that you need to put troops in there. If you leave it open for X amount of time, rogues will reclaim it
    Hello Katastroof, wherever did you get THAT idea? ;)

EDIT: van Boutersem h
    Started playing WAR Commander in March 2012
    Stopped playing UPGRADE Commander in May 2013
    Still visiting the forums from time to time out of business related curiosity (how to keep selling a broken product)
  • Katastroof
    Katastroof
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 1,925
    haha we might, I don't mind the guys not understanding us. But the game designers wouldn't understand either :(
    I got that idea on a thread here, I guess, seeing your reaction, it was yours to start with :)
    HellNBack lvl 37 On strike
    Proud member of WCV

Event prices and sickle prices all unlocked :)

My ideas to make events fun again

• hello1
    hello1
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 1,049
    I do not understand this thread.
    If you fight, you never get bored.
    Jump and start fighting.
    Take on a whole group. Fight a coined kondor. Start a war. Snipe your enemy.
    Fight one on 20.Take as many depos as you can. Jump with a few friends and take a sector.

The end game is to fight not hide in your base and level up.
    No guts No glory.