Rapier Balance?

TylerJashley
TylerJashley
Greenhorn
Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 5
edited 17 Nov 2011, 12:52AM
I'm still at the point of the game where things are researching along, so I don't have the knowledge of Assault Missiles or other Drac penetrators.
I've been playing with some weaps on my scout ships and it seems that rapier missiles are worse than Thud 1s with no upgrades. Though they are needed to research high Forsaken weaponry, I think they deserve a buff in themselves. Take Rapier 4 for example, which does a lowly 122 damage every 6 seconds, and that's with the extremely debatable hit rate.

Maybe with each tier level up, the salvo rate for the missile increases?

Rapier 1 has a single salvo, Rapier 2 has two missiles fired at a time, and so on and so forth. In addition, missile damage is multiplied according to the tier, so Rapier missiles will be 4 124 dmg missiles fired at once.

The only problem is that their almost characteristic misfiring can be removed with Laser Targeting, which will make Rapier 4 110% accuracy, dealing about 500 damage each shot.

So any way to improve this weapon while keeping it a contender for Thuds and Assault Missiles will be great. Thanks for reading, and post away your thoughts.

How should Rapiers be changed? 12 votes

Fine how it is
8% 1 vote
Buff it
91% 11 votes
  • aefi
    aefi
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,133
    they are ok for its lvl.. as soon as you get cutlas they became useless..
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 500
    Problem with that is, Damage listed is divided by the number of salvos shot, for example, a weapon that does 100 damage and shoots 2 salvos at once means each salvo is doing 50 damage if it connects.
  • lerick545
    lerick545
    Master Tactician
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 2,307
    I'm still at the point of the game where things are researching along, so I don't have the knowledge of Assault Missiles or other Drac penetrators.
    I've been playing with some weaps on my scout ships and it seems that rapier missiles are worse than Thud 1s with no upgrades. Though they are needed to research high Forsaken weaponry, I think they deserve a buff in themselves. Take Rapier 4 for example, which does a lowly 122 damage every 6 seconds, and that's with the extremely debatable hit rate.

Maybe with each tier level up, the salvo rate for the missile increases?

Rapier 1 has a single salvo, Rapier 2 has two missiles fired at a time, and so on and so forth.

The only problem is that their almost characteristic misfiring can be removed with Laser Targeting, which will make Rapier 4 110% accuracy, dealing about 500 damage each shot.

So any way to improve this weapon while keeping it a contender for Thuds and Assault Missiles will be great. Thanks for reading, and post away your thoughts.
    you do know that weapons with salvos dont add damage?? it gets divided. take the assualt cannon d33-x for example. it does 100 damage. with 2 salvo. so its 50 damage per shot. 50x2(salvo)=100
  • TylerJashley
    TylerJashley
    Greenhorn
    Oops, thanks for that hehe. I'll update the idea.
  • Wolfgaard
    Wolfgaard
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 35
    I agree that the rapier are simple too poor, they definitely need to be buffed, even if they are the first missile weapon a player can unlock they should at least be worth the investment. As it stands its only real worth is the fact its a prerequisite to unlocking the cutlass.

I agree with your multi-salvo idea Tyler, it would make sense since the rapier is shown to have 3 missiles on each launcher, so if each shot 3 missiles per attack it would greatly balance it since the poor hit/miss rate would be retained since you would have a greater chance for a hit with 3 weaker missiles as opposed to one big one.

One way or another the Rapier needs a little buffing, I think we can all agree of that.
  • TylerJashley
    TylerJashley
    Greenhorn
    Well, Thuds are the first weapon that the player gets, and look at what use they have with our lovely Hard Wolves. Rapiers have the potential to be a great middle-range weapon, along with cutlass and such. With this buff, maybe flak cannons will need one too.
  • Suffren
    Suffren
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 478
    all med range weapons are useless. Either use the weapons that do the most damage or have the longest range. You win by either doing more damage or by taking less damage. med range weapons dont help you do either.
    Suffren
    currently sec 492
    lvl 57
  • TylerJashley
    TylerJashley
    Greenhorn
    There is a delicate midway point between killing and lasting, at which an overall balance is in due. Rapiers are the filler space between mortars and rockets, and that is where kiting is usually reserved for hard thuds. Maybe with a buff rapiers can be used with a fast wolf to take out those pesky sniper wolves.